ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Valuation help

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2014, 02:48 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Valuation help

Been years since Ive dealt in standard stuff, so a little help if possible will be selling my sti version 5 engine at some point complete with everything inc turbo, inlet manifold, injectors and coil pack. Its done about 84k mostly at standard or less power what would it be worth roughly?
Old 17 June 2014, 02:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

50 quid.
Old 17 June 2014, 02:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
50 quid.
quiet you!
Old 17 June 2014, 02:56 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere IRO 800-1000 as a drop in Depends on paperwork, rebuilds, seeing it running and if includes heads and headers etc. No one is going to pay more than a grand Engine on it's own complete without turbo, packs and injectors is roughly £700 so depends if you think you can get more for the turbo and other bits selling separately. I sold a low mileage V2 STi long engine last year for £700 which included all of the above all belts in place, AC, Alt.
Old 17 June 2014, 02:59 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 53
Somewhere IRO 800-1000 as a drop in Depends on paperwork, rebuilds, seeing it running and if includes heads and headers etc. No one is going to pay more than a grand Engine on it's own complete without turbo, packs and injectors is roughly £700 so depends if you think you can get more for the turbo and other bits selling separately. I sold a low mileage V2 STi long engine last year for £700 which included all of the above all belts in place, AC, Alt.
Cheers 53, engine will have everything as I am moving over to newage stuff inc avcs heads on the next engine and after market headers. No rebuild that I know of and has some paperwork regarding work + mots. You did very well with your engine, If I got £700 for the lot I would be over the moon
Old 17 June 2014, 03:06 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
quiet you!
Not fair. I want to log an official complaint.
Old 17 June 2014, 03:09 PM
Scooby Senior

Right place right time, if you sell if on Snet they will want it with a lifetime warranty for 50p with a forged set of pistons and a screamer pipe lol They won't map it to suit either and change the turbo to an ebay TD06. Best to keep it ready to go and sell when the opportunity presents itself Take a few running vids and spec a full advert and go from there.
Old 17 June 2014, 03:39 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't imagine getting anywhere near a grand for an 84k STI V5 engine. They're not exactly well known for great bottom end longevity. It's the sort of mileage where you'd buy it to refresh IMO.

If bits are worth that much, I'll start stripping my 65k mile Sti V6
Old 17 June 2014, 07:06 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

You'll never ever see a grand for a complete classic sti engine with 80+K Banny. Your target of £700 is far more realistic but I'd be prepared to take a bit less just to move it on.
You'd be better off pulling it apart and selling the bits off mate.
Old 17 June 2014, 08:01 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
You'll never ever see a grand for a complete classic sti engine with 80+K Banny. Your target of £700 is far more realistic but I'd be prepared to take a bit less just to move it on.
You'd be better off pulling it apart and selling the bits off mate.
Truthfully I would let the lot go for £600, if someone was willing to collect just to move it on like you say
Old 17 June 2014, 08:10 PM
Scooby Senior

Scoobynet prices FTW ... depends what people are after. It's not just an engine 800-1000 for a drop in is a bargain if you don't want a rebuild, just a swaps a goodun Like I said, depends on paperwork, rebuilds, seeing it running and if includes heads and headers etc... Subaru prices have been undersold by soulless breakers.
Old 18 June 2014, 12:32 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truthfully I would let the lot go for £600, if someone was willing to collect just to move it on like you say
Is this a covert ad?

Personally if my car was knackered I'd take the risk of an entire powerplant for the figures that have been mentioned ie. £600-£1K (tho' I'd want a 3-month warranty at the top end of the range).
Old 18 June 2014, 07:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

There is another "drop in" with 80k serviced by API with paper work from a v1/v2 and we know what that means for £450 in the for sale section and it's not sold and gone to offers now.

I'd say that's a more realistic price as who ever buys it is taking pot luck. At the end of the day as mentioned above, these old classic engines aren't exactly renowned for making 100k+ regularly especially the imports, most let go at these kind of milages, which is why there is a thriving industry rebuilding them.

The heads are worth around £200 because they'll need a re-fresh, most wouldn't touch the bottom end on it's own as it's not a cdb, so basically scrap metal. 84k turbo's and ancillaries aren't exactly hot property.

The value for me is in the seller and the previous owner and the fact it's still in one piece otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for more than £200 ie the value of the heads.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 18 June 2014, 07:54 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Is this a covert ad?

Personally if my car was knackered I'd take the risk of an entire powerplant for the figures that have been mentioned ie. £600-£1K (tho' I'd want a 3-month warranty at the top end of the range).
Testing the water, engine wont be coming out anytime soon as I am having too much fun enjoying it, the proper engine is sat waiting to go in but will be done at my leisure
Old 18 June 2014, 11:28 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

There is another "drop in" with 80k serviced by API with paper work from a v1/v2 and we know what that means for £450 in the for sale section and it's not sold and gone to offers now.

I'd say that's a more realistic price as who ever buys it is taking pot luck. At the end of the day as mentioned above, these old classic engines aren't exactly renowned for making 100k+ regularly especially the imports, most let go at these kind of milages, which is why there is a thriving industry rebuilding them.

The heads are worth around £200 because they'll need a re-fresh, most wouldn't touch the bottom end on it's own as it's not a cdb, so basically scrap metal. 84k turbo's and ancillaries aren't exactly hot property.

The value for me is in the seller and the previous owner and the fact it's still in one piece otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for more than £200 ie the value of the heads.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mine did 120K+.
However, even that means that realistically if I was in the position of needing an engine then I could expect perhaps only another 40K out of it.

However, since a fully functional car is worth a lot more than a knackered one the engine would probably pay for itself.

I suppose this is one of those situations where 20 people would have 21 different views.

GLWTD ('disposal') btw.
Old 18 June 2014, 12:48 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Mine did 120K+.
However, even that means that realistically if I was in the position of needing an engine then I could expect perhaps only another 40K out of it.

However, since a fully functional car is worth a lot more than a knackered one the engine would probably pay for itself.

I suppose this is one of those situations where 20 people would have 21 different views.

GLWTD ('disposal') btw.
I only think it fair that I declare I do have an interest here as I am half interested in this engine for my Type R and in fact i'm the prompt for this thread as I sent banny a pm about the engine, even though I was a tad on the cheeky side these are my honest thoughts on the matter.

I'd agree that SOME do make it to decent milages but it's still a toss of a coin and once the price goes the other side of £500 your into newage bottom end territory, most definitely when you start talking figures of £700 to £1k which is also DIY rebuild territory, I know this because I have done it.

If it was a CDB i'd say yes worth that sort of money as the sum of the parts will mean that one could re-coupe most of the £700 by selling the block and heads provided it didn't throw a rod or badly scrape the bores or re-use said parts in a high spec re-build.

I'm of the opinion that this particular one is worth a punt at the right money because like I said before it's been in good hands Ron jeramy and banny both know their scoobs, so it's as good as it gets going for an engine of this age and miles, it's also attractive from the drop it in and go perspective, but it needs to be cheap for me personally to roll the dice.

Yes I'm sure others will have their views and no doubt think I'm trying it on, which I blatantly am of course, but at least I'm honest about it.
Old 18 June 2014, 07:27 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I'm of the opinion that this particular one is worth a punt at the right money because like I said before it's been in good hands Ron jeramy and banny both know their scoobs, so it's as good as it gets going for an engine of this age and miles, it's also attractive from the drop it in and go perspective, but it needs to be cheap for me personally to roll the dice.
No offence, but.. How could you possibly know "it's as good as it gets going for an engine of this age and miles" just because Banny and Ron Jeramy know their scoobs?

Or is it just these two chaps who've owned it?

The only way you could possibly know is pulling it apart to check the big ends, en that kind of defeats the object.
Old 18 June 2014, 07:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
No offence, but.. How could you possibly know "it's as good as it gets going for an engine of this age and miles" just because Banny and Ron Jeramy know their scoobs?

Or is it just these two chaps who've owned it?

The only way you could possibly know is pulling it apart to check the big ends, en that kind of defeats the object.
Exactly, which is why i'd take a punt at £450/ 500 but no more.
Old 18 June 2014, 08:06 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Best thing for Banny to do is at least remove the turbo. £250 for a VF28 will be easily achievable. Advertise the engine as complete with turbo and I think £700 might seem a lot to some. But take the blower off and stick it up for £450-£500, sounds cheap and then get the £250 for the turbo separately.
Old 18 June 2014, 08:20 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

P.S, I'll add to that and say, anyone that knows anything about subarus knows it's so important how these cars are treated, some chav off subaru swap shop or gumtree owning it could offer me the same thing for 50 quid and i'd already know it's a waste of my money.
Old 18 June 2014, 10:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Best thing for Banny to do is at least remove the turbo. £250 for a VF28 will be easily achievable. Advertise the engine as complete with turbo and I think £700 might seem a lot to some. But take the blower off and stick it up for £450-£500, sounds cheap and then get the £250 for the turbo separately.
My point exactly It's not just an engine represents 800-1000 of anyones money when you factor in the collective drop in part value of what banny was originally asking.
Old 19 June 2014, 07:54 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Absolute rubbish be lucky to see 20 quid for a knackerd old vf turbo.
Old 19 June 2014, 07:55 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

It his 1.5bar quite nicely now, as Maz found out yesterday
Old 19 June 2014, 09:56 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold my OEM VF28 off my STi 5 for £290. Okay, this would have been early 2011. If my car's mileage is genuine (no reason to believe otherwise), then it only had about c.41k m on it at point of removal.

Some crank with a little Starlet Turbo bought it. After he had it mapped, it made 301bhp. He said it made for 'interesting*' overtaking in a straight line. LOL

* Read, sphincter-clenching.

Last edited by joz8968; 19 June 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 19 June 2014, 10:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

It his 1.5bar quite nicely now, as Maz found out yesterday
Oi, Stop thrashing my engine and turbo.
Old 19 June 2014, 12:52 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I sold my OEM VF28 off my STi 5 for £290. Okay, this would have been early 2011. If my car's mileage is genuine (no reason to believe otherwise), then it only had about c.41k m on it at point of removal.

Some crank with a little Starlet Turbo bought it. After he had it mapped, it made 301bhp. He said it made for 'interesting*' overtaking in a straight line. LOL

* Read, sphincter-clenching.

I wouldn't have thought you could overtake in a straight line with that combination.
Old 19 June 2014, 04:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He said it was very skittish. ...But perhaps he couldn't drive properly.

Some of those Starlet/Glanza owners tune the damn things to nigh on 400bhp allegedly. IIRC, the early Starlets weigh anywhere between 750-850kg!!! Go figure.

Last edited by joz8968; 19 June 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 20 March 2015, 12:52 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Hoping to have this available next month at some point, will put a proper ad up with my valuation