How long to Prosecute?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 05:52 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hi.

Once you havre had a NIP, and admitted to being the driver, how long can they take to prosecute you?

I was caught in july, and have not heard anything other than a letter aknowledging receipt of my completed NIP form

6 months and waiting!
Old 18 January 2003, 06:00 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Question

Was it an unmarked car? A dark blue Volvo 850 or burgundy Omega....??
Old 18 January 2003, 06:12 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

According to Speed Trap Bible:

What is the time limit, within which you can be prosecuted. The police have to serve a summons on the defendant within 6 months of the date on which the prosecutor (normally the CPS) certify that they have collated enough evidence to bring a charge. This does not mean that the police have 6 months from the date of the offence to charge the accused. My advice to anyone who has received a summons more than 6 months after the alleged offence is to request a copy of the signed and dated certificate of prosecution from the Police/CPS. For a normal common or garden speeding offence with no complications I can think of absolutely no reason why the prosecution should not issue a summons within 6 months of the offence. Notwithstanding the above, the Prosecution must bring proceedings within 3 years of the alleged offence. The NIP 14 day rule still applies for Gatso and other devices, where you are not stopped and warned of proscecution at the time of the offence.
Old 18 January 2003, 07:05 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Ah so can i take it the comments from teambwr47 on the bottom of page 1 of this thread should be taken with a pinch of salt as it does sound very tempting & logical on the cost front but eaqually dubious & risky?
Is there any set rules with punishments for x speed in blah zone? & is it possible 2 ask for extra payment 2 go on a speed education IAM type course with potentially less points? Just wondered/hoped How the bleedin hell do u get 2 see any picture they took n all as there's no phone numbers on the NIP from wot i herd
Si
Old 18 January 2003, 10:42 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Originally I was going to hold of buying a turbo in case the conviction put the insurance up too much. However after waiting 6 months ive now bought one anyway.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

However, if they have to get you the NIP withing 14 days, or you can say you cant remember who was driving, How am I suposed to remember what happened 6 months ago?

Maybe they have forgotten about me
Old 18 January 2003, 11:25 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

thats kinda da point that tempts me if i got a NIP if it werent recorded delivery how can they show i got the NIP & does it matter if i did? OK i'm drunk but any1 wana clarify detail?
Si