Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best type of 3d tv.

Old 02 March 2011, 05:32 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best type of 3d tv.

What would you go for, plasma, led or lcd ?.
Old 02 March 2011, 06:28 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've auditioned all three, and plasma wins it in my eyes. You might think differently. Over the next couple of weeks all the new kit will be hitting the shelves, so although there's some good deals around, it is for out of date stuff. There are some issues surrounding 3D, especially when it comes to kids eyesight, and how long you can watch it. Some people are getting headaches and nausea within minutes, and there are worries about eye-strain and permanent damage. If you need a new TV anyway, then jump in, but otherwise it might be wise to wait and see what's coming in the near future, and what issues they manage to resolve. But the old argument with technology is that how long do you wait, as you could still be waiting in 10 years time
Old 02 March 2011, 10:14 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Currently have a Panasonic 42" Plasma 3D-TV. Spot on for all formats including, SKY-HD, PS3 gaming and Blu-Ray Discs.

Bought the package from Comet before Christmas, which included the T.V, 3d Blu-Ray Player and managed to get a free copy of Ice Age 3D on Blu-Ray via a Panasonic Promotion :-)
Old 03 March 2011, 08:34 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Plasma is the only technology that works correctly for 3D.

There are fundamental and well documented issues with LED and LCD screens due to crosstalk of the 2 images.

Steer clear of anything except Plasma

Jason
Old 03 March 2011, 09:09 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Panasonic have just launched their 2011 line up, not sure if you can actually buy them anywhere yet, however I'm going to be in the market for a large'ish panel soon (maybe 50") and their plasmas look to fit the bill. The majority of their new model line-up is 3D ready so I guess they think there is a future in the format.

Just got to wait for my bonus and see how much they come down in price after launch
Old 03 March 2011, 10:03 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Adding 3D isn't exactly expensive to them, just some processing, the glasses, and a way of the two synchronising. Any panel with a fast enough refresh rate can do 3D, so why not just make all future TV's 3D ready ?

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1297857148 Possibly on sale in May.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:35 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Or should i buy a regular full hd plasma & wait until all the 3d channels come up ?.I've seen a Pioneer KRP500 on ebay & thought that would tide me over until the tech gets better.Or am i wrong.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:47 AM
danwel
Scooby Regular

I was having the same dilemna as yourself. I didn't need a new tv but fancied a 3d one but have decided to wait as so far there is only 1 channel on sky that you can actually watch so may be worht holding out until they are glasses free and have more channels available
Old 03 March 2011, 10:57 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The only way to watch 3D is With a projector , not the same on a 50" screen
Old 03 March 2011, 12:49 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by jsh1
Plasma is the only technology that works correctly for 3D.

There are fundamental and well documented issues with LED and LCD screens due to crosstalk of the 2 images.

Steer clear of anything except Plasma

Jason
Sorry, that's horse ****. Crosstalk is a result of active 3D, it has nothing to do with the underlying panel technology.

Crosstalk in plasmas is well documented. The only way to avoid crosstalk (nearly anyway) is passive sets, and they are few and far between and currently only offer linear polarisation, which limits the viewing angle somewhat. There is hope of circular to negate this, and sets without glasses at all, but it remains to be seen how good they will be.

Geezer
Old 03 March 2011, 01:04 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Best deal so far is this Samsung 3D plasma...
http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/100...9150d22d5ad745

Get cashback via topcashback or quidco too.
Old 03 March 2011, 01:11 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know the ins and outs of how 3d tv works ?

I'm under the impression you need near perfect vision for it to work, like 50/50.

I have a slightly lazy eye so I'm probably more 30/50, is this why I'm not as amazed as some people by it, because I cant see it in its full effect ?
Old 03 March 2011, 03:09 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I have quite bad astigmatism and have struggled with 3D in the past. I got a demo of a Samsung plasma before Xmas in my local PC world and was blown away by how good it was. The 3D glasses were designed to be comfortably worn over prescription glasses, so if your vision is well corrected then you should have a similar experience.
Old 03 March 2011, 03:37 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

3D as it is is Bs IMO.

Early adopters are going to find that at some point over the next few years the "3D ready" sets will give way to something far more advanced - 3D w/o having to wear silly goggles anyone?
Or perhaps 3D will simply fade to something similar to laserdisk tech. All the while that special glasses are required to watch this 3D, it will never become main stream, never replace TV viewing as it is today.

I know consumer electronics/gadgets industry is a fickle one and things move on rapidly, it's a given in this day and age but sometimes it just can't be excused so easily - 3D is one of these. It is a gimmck, a prelude to something bigger, better and easier to live with.

I would save your money.
Old 03 March 2011, 03:55 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foz200315
3D as it is is Bs IMO.

Early adopters are going to find that at some point over the next few years the "3D ready" sets will give way to something far more advanced - 3D w/o having to wear silly goggles anyone?
Or perhaps 3D will simply fade to something similar to laserdisk tech. All the while that special glasses are required to watch this 3D, it will never become main stream, never replace TV viewing as it is today.

I know consumer electronics/gadgets industry is a fickle one and things move on rapidly, it's a given in this day and age but sometimes it just can't be excused so easily - 3D is one of these. It is a gimmck, a prelude to something bigger, better and easier to live with.

I would save your money.
But as mentioned the latest batch of Panasonic Plasmas are 3D ready anyway and as Panasonic make some of the best plasmas on the market this is what I'd be going for. A higher specified television is needed for 3D (i.e. faster refresh etc.) but consequently this will also improve the 2D experience. Whether I'd ever actually watch any 3D stuff on it is another matter. Besides which there is more outlay than just buying the TV, you need a 3D source (BlueRay and/or Sky) and the dreaded glasses.
Old 03 March 2011, 04:18 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
But as mentioned the latest batch of Panasonic Plasmas are 3D ready anyway and as Panasonic make some of the best plasmas on the market this is what I'd be going for. A higher specified television is needed for 3D (i.e. faster refresh etc.) but consequently this will also improve the 2D experience. Whether I'd ever actually watch any 3D stuff on it is another matter. Besides which there is more outlay than just buying the TV, you need a 3D source (BlueRay and/or Sky) and the dreaded glasses.
If I wanted a specific brand and all of the sets they produced were 3D then I guess I would go ahead. However if there was a choice in-house of say a £1000 3D Ready set and a £1000 standard set I know which I would choose.
Better to have 100% of the build budget spent on stuff that I want than split it with some stuff that I'm not fussed on.

Tis better to have higher refresh rates you're right, but I would be sceptical personally as to whether I would notice much difference in sets >100Hz refresh rates.

Either way, Panny do make great sets so whatever you pick is probably going to knock your socks off
Old 03 March 2011, 04:25 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the Japan tech show Toshiba have released (over their) their latest 3d efforts......No Glasses needed, its all built into the screen so everyone in the room can watch 3d without stupid glasses on......that will be out here this year, so they say.......I will be waiting for that...
Old 03 March 2011, 04:28 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
At the Japan tech show Toshiba have released (over their) their latest 3d efforts......No Glasses needed, its all built into the screen so everyone in the room can watch 3d without stupid glasses on......that will be out here this year, so they say.......I will be waiting for that...
Old 03 March 2011, 04:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
Does anyone know the ins and outs of how 3d tv works ?
Current tech....

Active shutter glasses can usually be worn over prescription glasses.
Old 03 March 2011, 04:39 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Well what a ***** you will feel when you can spend £250 more and avoid £250 of glasses that need charging!!......

my brother has 3d, and i watched some of the Ryder cup on it, for around 2hrs. Was very good i have to say, but left his house with a raging head ache from the stupid fukin glasses, through which i could see the day light from the window flickering when the shutters on the glasses opened and shut (very high speed)....hence the head ache.

Wait for "In screen" 3d, which is nothing more complex than putting the "active shutter" full size over the front of the screen, something they COULD do when they released 3d. But its much easier for TV makers to have you wear sh1tty glasses than add wieght to a TV set........and more pleasing to the public to pay a grand for a TV and buy glasses on top....still makes you feel its "cheap"......
Old 03 March 2011, 05:11 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I normally get very excited about technology but 3D TV has no interest to me. I watched Avatar and while it was impressive I did think the 3D was just a fairground distraction.
Old 03 March 2011, 06:16 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Well what a ***** you will feel when you can spend £250 more and avoid £250 of glasses that need charging!!......

my brother has 3d, and i watched some of the Ryder cup on it, for around 2hrs. Was very good i have to say, but left his house with a raging head ache from the stupid fukin glasses, through which i could see the day light from the window flickering when the shutters on the glasses opened and shut (very high speed)....hence the head ache.

Wait for "In screen" 3d, which is nothing more complex than putting the "active shutter" full size over the front of the screen, something they COULD do when they released 3d. But its much easier for TV makers to have you wear sh1tty glasses than add wieght to a TV set........and more pleasing to the public to pay a grand for a TV and buy glasses on top....still makes you feel its "cheap"......
... I am in agreement with you - no need to call me a *****. The thumbs up was not intended to be sarcastic, I was saying about your info on goggle-less 3D viewing from Tosh, it is welcome news
Old 03 March 2011, 06:20 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I normally get very excited about technology but 3D TV has no interest to me. I watched Avatar and while it was impressive I did think the 3D was just a fairground distraction.
Same here, it's got to be a first for me to not have the "want one need one must have one" syndrome at the launch of juicy new "groundbreaking" etc etc AV tech. Love my film and AV stuff, not bothered at all about 3D. I'd rather have a good sh*t than watch 3D as it is.
Old 03 March 2011, 07:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Back in my earlier career, I could of made a fortune selling off duff tvs with convergence errors, and a pair of dark glasses.
Old 03 March 2011, 07:33 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I think i'll stick with the regular plasma tv.And buy an av receiver + decent enough speakers.Yamaha do one receiver for 175 notes or there is Pioneer for £211on ebay.The room is approx 10 × 16ft with an alcove & a corner piece thing.
Old 03 March 2011, 07:59 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the new panny dt30 range will be 400hz and less than 2ms response, they say it's eliminated or near as the crosstalk problem.

As for glassless 3d it's meh from what i've heard.

Id have a samsung but they're ropey on reliability, ask any decent retailler. Which is a shame as they make lovely panels, but they use cheap parts throughout.

I'll be grabbing a dt30 myself asap, seeing as my pc is 3d ready anyway.

Last edited by hux309; 04 March 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03 March 2011, 08:10 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

I have the Panasonic 42" plasma. The 3D feature was a novelty for about a week ! Watched Avatar ( pretty good ), played GT5 and COD in 3D and that was about it. I found the glasses uncomfortable, and after a while they made my eyes ache . Luckily the set I bought is a pretty good 2D TV so I don't feel that I totally wasted my money. As with everything mate it's personal choice.

Cheers,

Wilky.
Old 03 March 2011, 09:09 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

... I am in agreement with you - no need to call me a *****. The thumbs up was not intended to be sarcastic, I was saying about your info on goggle-less 3D viewing from Tosh, it is welcome news

LOL...no no mate i got you where agreeing was just really answering that; and the "pr1ck" thing was in general, as when i watched my brothers 3d i felt a monster pr1ck with the glasses on, especially since he had 3 sets, so my mrs could watch with us, did'nt mean you were a pr1ck at all sorry if it came over that way fella, took it like a man though!.

Here ya go, artical from october last year...things have already moved on!!

3d without the pr1ck glasses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11467352

and for the true geeks amoung us:
3D TV Without Glasses & How It Works - Parallax Barrier & Lenticular Lens Technology

http://www.3dtvguide.org/3d-tv-without-glasses.html

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 03 March 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04 March 2011, 08:34 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Sorry, that's horse ****. Crosstalk is a result of active 3D, it has nothing to do with the underlying panel technology.

Crosstalk in plasmas is well documented. The only way to avoid crosstalk (nearly anyway) is passive sets, and they are few and far between and currently only offer linear polarisation, which limits the viewing angle somewhat. There is hope of circular to negate this, and sets without glasses at all, but it remains to be seen how good they will be.

Geezer
Pretty dismissive comment!

It has everything to do with the underlying panel technology.

Given that there are only a few manufacturers making both LCD and Plasma screens, arguably Panasonic being the highest quality of these, do you not think that there is a very specific reason why they don't make their 3D TV's with LCD technology?

A quote from Panasonic directly.

"On the TV, [crosstalk] depends on how fast the TV can swap from the left eye image to the right eye image and then back to the left eye image again. It has always been the case that the response time of a plasma is much, much quicker than of an LCD.

"But there is a second type of crosstalk - from black into white - because an LCD always has to twist the crystals whether it needs to switch from black to white or white to black. And from black to white is a much more crucial crosstalk because LCD produces up to 35 per cent crosstalk when the pixels are changing from black to white, while plasma has zero crosstalk in this area."

They must be full of horse **** too

Jason
Old 04 March 2011, 09:28 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

i think I'll wait another year for 3D without glasses

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best type of 3d tv.